The Curcubata Mare mountain attracts visitors with the most beautiful view of Transylvania, with its amazing panorama. Ideal choice for a summer hike! If you only want the view you can also go up to the top with your own car, or you can rent quads from the village. When using quads or motorbikes, it is very important to use only the official mountain roads in order to avoid damaging the nature!
1. Route: 16 km, with an elevation gain of 850 meters
Our starting point is Avramesti (Bihor county), the first 3 kilometres of the hiking trail lead along this dirt road, accessible also with car.
The first checkpoint is on the right side of the road, after the second bridge, there is a big blue arrow marking on the rock, it is not easy to miss. From here, you will need a map or an app (for example OSM), because the signs of the narrow path that leads up the mountain are not always visible. The narrow path curves steeply upwards, there will be shade only for a short time.
The path leads through the natural habitat of vipers. It is good to know about vipers that they are usually in pairs, they sit on stones to “sunbathe”. They only attack when surprised or cornered. In most cases, they hide from the sound of footsteps, so it is worth hitting the ground with a stick at each step.
You have to go back along the same route, so the total distance will be 16 km.
Route: 23 km, with an elevation gain of 900 meters
The second route takes you all the way up the stony road. The advantage is that the chance of seeing a snake is minimal here, the disadvantage is that cars also go this way. We combined it, we went up on the path, down on the road, so the distance is 20 km. There are often stalls on the side of the road, in hot weather you can wash your hands and head to cool down. These waters are not recommended for human consumption.
Route: 20 km, with an elevation gain of 920 meters
The third route is a ridge hike that starts from the village of Vârtop. The route for this can also be found in the OSM application. The advantage is that as soon as we reach the first ridge, we will be hiking with a panoramic view.
Recommendations for hiking
* have an offline map with the route (OSM, or other apps are excellent)
* check the elevation, the distance, the time needed (add a couple of km and one extra hour, just in case)
* take into consideration the sunset, but always have light sources with you
* be aware of the wildlife and what to do if you see them
* ALWAYS bring enough water and food (sweets as well) even if you don’t plan to have a picnic
* Have comfortable hiking shoes adequate for the season
* If the route is tricky or slippery bring hiking sticks
* Quick dry sportswear is essential so you don’t catch a cold
* Have a scarf or a hat against the sun
* Check the weather and dress accordingly (raincoat guaranteeing to stay warm and dry is a must)
Have a safe person who knows where you are, on what route and when are you most likely to contact them at the end of your hike. If something goes wrong they can notify the authorities.
If you don’t want to miss similar out, you can join us: